can not get nfsroot to setup under woody

Walter Tautz wtautz at math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 1 22:03:18 CEST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 pll at lanminds.com wrote:

> fai-setup resulted in:
>
> 	bldsvr:~# fai-setup
> 	Account $LOGUSER=fai already exists.
> 	Make sure, that all install clients can
> 	log into this account without a password.
> 	/home/fai/.ssh/authorized_keys created.
> 	User account fai set up.
> 	Creating FAI nfsroot can take a long time and will
> 	need more than 150MB disk space in /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot.
> 	/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot already exists. Removing /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
> 	dpkg: warning, architecture `i386-none' not in remapping table
> 	E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-i386-none/Packages
> 	chroot: cannot execute apt-get: No such file or directory
>

> The fix appears to be to add '--arch i386' to FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS in
> /etc/fai/fai.conf on the FAI_SERVER.
>
> Has anyone else run into this, or, anyone know why this change is now
> required?  Is it a change in FAI, dpkg, or debootstrap which looks
> for 'binary-i386-none' vs 'binary-i386' ?
>
> Hope this helps someone! :)
>
> --

I seem to be unable to get fai-setup to work. It simply seems to stop

Setting up liblockfile1 (1.03) ...

Setting up libident (0.22-2) ...

Setting up apt (0.5.4) ...

Setting up manpages (1.39-1.1) ...

Setting up net-tools (1.60-4) ...

Setting up libsasl7 (1.5.27-3) ...

Setting up netkit-ping (0.10-9) ...

Setting up modconf (0.2.43) ...

Setting up gettext-base (0.10.40-5) ...

Setting up syslinux (1.66-1) ...

Setting up console-tools (0.2.3-23.3) ...
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE

at this point the screen scrolls up and blank. I never see the welcoming
messages that its finished.

This is woody fai. Anyone had any success creating a nfsroot?

-walter