SSHD fails to start on installclient in FAI 2.3.4

Sune Rastad Bahn srb at dmi.dk
Thu Aug 1 11:01:46 CEST 2002

ole.schistad at zonavi.com skrev:
> Sshd complains about a missing /var/run/sshd and exits. Creating the
> directory manually fixes the problem, but then you have to log on locally
> first. Creating this directory in $nfsroot does not seem to work, probably
> because /var/run is linked to /tmp/ during install. Seems that one of the
> early install scripts need to create this dir (ie, before sshd is started)
> in order for remote logins to work - not familiar enough with the FAI
> scripts yet to know which script to modify, so .. any tips?

You need to edit
/usr/share/fai/subroutines
with the following patch
323c323
<     [ "$sshd" -a -x /usr/sbin/sshd ] && /usr/sbin/sshd
---
>     [ "$sshd" -a -x /usr/sbin/sshd ] && mkdir /var/run/sshd/ &&
/usr/sbin/sshd

the problem is that
sshd needs /var/run/sshd for privillige separation, but this disappear when
(nfs) /var/run/ is symlinked to /tmp/var/run for writeability. We therefore
need to create a new to make sshd work

Best,
Sune