etherconf?

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Tue Apr 30 17:25:25 CEST 2002

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Bruce  Edge wrote:
>
> > How about using etherconf as part of the default FAI setup?
>
> Could you provide more information?  What is it, why is it
> good, and why
> should it be used in FAI?
>
> ---------
> #include <disclaimer.h>
> Matthew Palmer
> mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au

etherconf is a debconf module for configuring the ethernet interface.

The etherconf package provides a perl API for setting up the LAN parameters.
Since FAI generates the network configuration anyways, it should be pretty straight forward to have it call the etherconf API to set it up.
Once it has been setup via etherconf, you can reconfig you LAN by running dpkg-reconfigure etherconf.
The debconf stuff runs with command line, dialog, gtk, and web front ends, so it makes a good system wide config tool.

My personal motivation is that I'm tying into debconf for our UI for all system related items.

If there's any interest in this, I may have time to look into it in the near future.

-Bruce.