Installing mixed potato / woody

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Apr 3 10:35:10 CEST 2002

    > What is the best way to do this with FAI? At least the
    > sources.list file for apt needs to be selected based on the
    > class, and apparently the woody nodes should use the debootstrap
    > method and the potato nodes should start with the base2_2.tgz?
    > Are there other differences?
Currently, different sources.list files are not supported. But I would
do it this way. Create two different nfsroot filesystems, one using
potato and basetgz, the other for woody created with
debootstrap. These two nfsroots can have different sources.list. Then
your bootp or dhcp daemon can select the nfroot depending on the
hostname or ip-address.

    > BTW, some of our users wanted to test their software on a fixed
    > Red Hat setup. I found it very easy to adapt FAI to the
Several people are interested in FAI for redhat. But maybe the better
way is to switch from redhat to Debian ;-)

    > needs. Could do the same for other operating systems too of
    > course.
Currently, L'm porting FAI to SUN Solaris in conjunction with Solaris
Jumpstart.

--
Gruss Thomas