initrd WAS: Using a 3c990 with FAI

Geert Stappers Geert.Stappers at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 21 09:05:08 CEST 2001

At 3:09 +0200 9/21/01, Xavier Andrade wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Thomas Lange wrote:
>

>>     > What is the main problem about using initrd with FAI if I can
>>     > still get a nfsroot?
>>
>> initrd is neither used nor supported in the current FAI version and I
>> have no plans and no time to do it by myself. FAI works for most other
>> hardware without the initial ramdisk. If you can send me patches for
>> FAI using a initrd, I will consider to include it in FAI.
>>
>I will see what i can do.

The initial ramdisk that I use came from the debian package boot-floppies,
but there seem to be other packages:

<code>
$ apt-cache search initrd
discover - Hardware detection system
initrd-tools - Tools to generate an initrd image.
kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid - Ingo Molnar's patch of raid2 functionality to 2.2.x
loadlin - a loader (running under DOS) for LINUX kernel images
mkcramfs - Make a CramFs (Compressed ROM File System)
mkinitrd-cd - Creates an initrd image suitable for booting from a live CD-ROM
</code>

Hope it helps...

Kind Regards, Geert Stappers