Booting FAI from CD, was Re: FAI for debian

Tue Oct 30 11:29:01 CET 2001

    > I don't have enough machines yet to attempt build a cluster (or
    > any computing needs that large), but am interested in having a
    > floppy or CD I can carry around to automatically install a
    > system (or possibly a classroom of systems) in the future.

    > Particularly, I note that kickstart for RedHat is an option for
    > corporate linux administrators and am interested in making
    > something similar readily available for Debian.

Create a CD whith the nfsroot filesystem on it and a kernel that does
not mount the root filesystem via nfs but from CD. Boot from this CD.
Use a hook for "confdir" which mounts a filesystem from the floppy to
/fai. This filesystem is the configuration space whith all your
configuration data on it. Skip the parts where a BOOTP or DHCP daemon
is used.

--
 Thomas