Some packages will not install

Jens Ruehmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Tue Oct 23 23:01:46 CEST 2001

Hi Christoph,

since nobody replied yet, I'll try.

> sometimes not all packages are installed on the client. I'm mixing
> tasksel installation and normal install in some package_config files.
> So in the software.log apt complains about: Sorry, talk is already the
> newest version. and that about 20 times.

Well, you seem to have duplicate entries in various classes. What I do for
installing is making sure that either all (or most) entries in different
classes are different or if both CLASS_A and CLASS_B contain the same
packages, CLASS_A is used iff CLASS_B is not used.

One might fix things by resolving all dependencies and checking for
duplicates etc., but that makes not much sense since apt does just that.

> Then the complete apt command stops installing the packages in this
> line. Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Sorry, but for me this is not enough info to figure out what's going
wrong.

> And what is the advantage of using dselect-upgrade.

Just an example: when installing a server you might want to do some things
interactively afterwards. Specify important packages using dselect-upgrade
and once the computer is installed, you can do "dselect" and upgrade, to
have the specified packages installed and configured as you like.

Kind regards,
Jens

--
ruehmkorf at informatik dot uni hyphen koeln dot de