FAI 2.2.2 and debootstrap

Phillip Smith psmith at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 16 21:19:29 CEST 2001

Hello all.

I've been reading about the problems with debootstrap and FAI 2.2.2
The suggestion from Jens to install debootstrap 0.1.15.5
fixed the initial fai-setup problem.  The nfsroot appears to be created
properly now and the fai-setup/make-fai-nfsroot scripts claim to finish.

When booting a client from this nfsroot, things work up to the point
where / is supposed to be remounted as rw. The error message is
"mount: only root can do this".

At this point, FAI aborts installation and drops to a shell.  Here
is the relevant section in /sbin/rcS_fai:

    [ -x /sbin/portmap ] && /sbin/portmap
    mount -n -t proc proc /proc
    mount -n -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
    mount -n -o remount,rw,rsize=8192 /dev/root /

Trying to do the "mount -n -t proc proc /proc" (or anything to do
with mount) from the shell manually gives the same message, "mount: only
root can do this".  From what I can tell, I am root.  On the fai server,
the /etc/exports is:

/cluster			@nodes(rw,no_root_squash)

(I do this rw so the logs can be written.. fai user's homedir is /cluster)

But I've also tried with:

/cluster/install/nfsroot	@nodes(ro,no_root_squash)
/cluster/install/configs/fai	@nodes(ro)

This is the same as what the fai-setup installs except for the different
netgroup name.

Anyway, from what I can tell root isn't getting squashed on the client,
unless it's a bug in the nfs-kernel-server package in testing (0.3.3-2).
Has anyone hit this problem, or am I overlooking something obvious?  Maybe
there is still a problem with how the nfsroot is being
created... suggestions welcome.

Phillip Smith
UNIX Systems Administrator
Geophysical Sciences Computing