after ip=autoconf WAS: Kernel (2.4.X series) not doing the initial boot.

Stephane Enten tuf at mmania.com
Thu Oct 11 18:14:09 CEST 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 06:01:38PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
 > At 17:00 +0200 10/11/01, Stephane Enten wrote:
 > >On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:32:03PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
 > snip
 > > >
 > > > I suggest you append an other parameter.
 > > > Such as "ether=9,0,eth0"  which means eth0 at IRQ 9 and autoprobe I/O-base.
 > > > ( http://ldp.nllgg.nl/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1 )
 > >
 > >I added that, I planed to add it anyway since our machines has 2 NICs and
 > >since their IRQs are reversed they are reversed (ie. port 0 = eth1, port 1 =
 > >eth0 ... annoying :) ).
 >
 > Is this the first time that you are telling us you have TWO (2) N.i.c.s???

Yes, but every test was done regarding the two NICs.
(ie. both MAC addresses on the DHCP server configuration, both
ethernet link plugged, both sniffed, and IRQ both tested).

 > >However, the DHCP code still did not accept the DHCPOFFER.
 > >I explored the net/ipv4/ipconfig.c again and found that there is some
 > >code to check if ic_myaddr equals INADDR_NONE.
 > >
 > >I found that my ic_myaddr was set at 166.0.0.0 at the DHCP request time,
 > >don't know why.
 > >
 > >So I added "ip=255.255.255.255:autoconf" in my kernel config, then the
 > >ic_myaddr was at INADDR_NONE (255.255.255.255) and the kernel was happy,
 > >did the NFS mount and now I can work on tweaking the installation part :)
 > >
 > It is a solution, an ugly solution, but still a solution.

Yep ... I don't like it so much too ... but when you are trying to
make this work since 10 days, something that works is a good start :p

 > Is all the hassle still needed,
 > when the computer has only one Network Interface Card?

Unfortunately, I can't be 100% sure. The machine has 2 built-in NICs
(machine is a DELL 1550) and the BIOS doesn't allow to disable one of
them anymore ...

Now I can use my time building a robust configuration and several
classes.

	Stephane