Kernel (2.4.X series) not doing the initial boot.

Stephane Enten tuf at mmania.com
Mon Oct 8 17:55:37 CEST 2001

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 09:47:20PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
 > At 17:10 +0200 10/6/01, Stephane Enten wrote:
 > >On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 04:52:23PM +0200, Stephane Enten wrote:
 > >[...]
 > > > I attach the .config used for the minimalist kernel used.
 > >[...]
 >
 > I'm not completely sure, but go for "FILTER"
 > DHCP relies on it.
 >
 > Please report your results to list ( for the searchable archive )

I re-tested with CONFIG_FILTER enabled, without any results.

Trying to find out the problem, I enabled IPCONFIG_DEBUG in the
ipconfig (net/ipv4/ipconfig.c) code, hoping to see some debug
message, but didn't get one. I did the same with NFSROOT_DEBUG
(in fs/nfs/nfsroot.c) with the same result.

I start to be in doubt if the ipconfig code is executed at all ...

I'll now examine the remaining things:
 - Trying to force the root= and nfsroot= params (as Chad suggested)
 - Trying with an older kernel (2.4.4 as Jens suggested)
 - Trying a "known to work" 2.2 kernel as Thomas suggested

	Stephane