Kernel (2.4.X series) not doing the initial boot.

Jens Ruehmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Sat Oct 6 00:38:32 CEST 2001

Hi Stephane, hi all!

> However, when booting the client machine with this floppy,
> "nothing happens", sniffing the network (with tcpdump
> analyzing broadcasts and also packets from/to the MAC
> address of the interface) showed that the kernel isn't
> even doing the initial BOOTP/DHCP request.

What's the exact error message that this kernel is complaining about
(should be something about RPC and Root-NFS I think)? Did you use a
vanilla 2.4.x from kernel.org or kernel-source-2.4.x from Herbert Xu?

Could you send us a .config and a screendump as well?

Which kernel version do you use? Did you try 2.4.4 as well (I read on
linux-kernel about some associated problems)?

On request I could send you a working nfsroot kernel I built / the .config
I used to build.

Kind regards,
Jens

--
ruehmkorf at informatik dot uni hyphen koeln dot de