strengths of C++, (off-topic) WAS Re: apt-class

Diane Trout diane at caltech.edu
Fri Nov 16 09:56:10 CET 2001

Jens Ruehmkorf <ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> writes:

> To get me right, this question was not aiming at a comparison between C
> and C++, but why there should be difficulties when porting it ;)

Hmm... I haven't seen too many programs written in C++ get ported too
many places. The biggest problems with porting C++ is that the compilers
have been slow to catch up to the standard. The biggest problem with
porting C programs is the Unix API varies in level of implementation
and bugs between systems.

The fact that my idea is targeting just debian systems makes things a
lot easier. That means for instance that there's pretty much just one
version of the standard C and C++ libraries, using pretty much the same
compiler.

Is that closer to answering the question you asked?

diane