apt-class WAS: fai next level

Jens Ruehmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu Nov 15 03:00:56 CET 2001

> > This is a bug of these packages. All packages should use debconf and
> > then we can say "DEBIAN_FRONTEND=Noninteractive". That's all.
>
> Okay, I hadn't recently read the debian policy manual. And I had
> looked at the debconf compliance graphs which showed that only a few
> percent of the packages were using debconf. So was assuming that full
> debconf compliance was quite some distance in the future.

To be exact, policy does not state that packages have to use debconf, it
leaves it up to the maintainer. But most of the time it's a good thing to
use debconf -- and only useful if you have something to configure, of
course ;)

Take a look at section 2.3.8.1 in debian-policy.

--
Jens