FAQ: Why won't my fai client find the right rootfs server?

Chad Walstrom chad at ima.umn.edu
Wed Nov 14 00:16:43 CET 2001

Well, folks.  Just figured out a little detail that makes the linux
kernel command line a little easier to parse, especially when one is
using a DHCP server that is not the same as the NFS root server for your
FAI install.  In your dhcpserver:/etc/dhcpd.conf file, add the following
line:

	next-server xxx.yyy.zzz;

where xxx.yyy.zzz = IP address of your NFS root server.  Be sure to
include

	option root-path "/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot";

as well.  What does this do for you?  It allows you to not specify
"nfsroot=" at your kernel boot.  This is especially nice for those who
might want to change the location of the root fileserver w/o having to
rerun LILO on all your FAI client workstations (ala the /fai-boot
partition).

(Yay!  I don't have to sit on the SHIFT key at system boot any more!
*grin*)

--
Chad C. Walstrom <chad at ima.umn.edu>             http://www.ima.umn.edu
Assistant Systems Manager, IMA                  Phone: 612-624-4353