apt-get failures -- blah!

Jens Ruehmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Sun Nov 11 12:23:10 CET 2001

> We bit the bullet here and dedicated a PPro workstation as the FAI
> server, put a large harddrive, and mirrored all the sites we need for
> the i386 install.  NFS mounted mirror drives make the install process
> MUCH faster, especially without the overhead of HTTP/FTP and copying
> files to the local drive.

A local debian-mirror speeds things up a lot. Because of better
reliability I use a ftp/http mirror instead of nfs. When it comes to
debootstrap, it still copies the files to the local drive, even when using
a cd-rom (but this has been announced to change soon).

Jens

--
Software development:
You can have it cheap, fast or working. Choose two.