software RAID in FAI

Eric Mumpower nocturne at permabit.com
Thu Nov 8 23:51:27 CET 2001

I'm in the process of setting up a FAI configuration which can create Linux
software-raid devices according to simple config script(s).

I've built a RAID-patched 2.2.19 kernel and generated a FAI-nfsroot and
FAI-bootp floppy from it; I've verified that the bootp floppy can boot and
that, from a 'sysinfo+createvt' boot, I can manually create a (software)
RAID device, format, and mount it.

I'm about to embark upon the scripting which will allow easy FAI-style
configuration of the the underlying disk partitions, the RAID itself, and
how the RAID partitions are to be formatted and mounted.

Has anyone any comments before I begin? (E.g. "I've already done this", or
"you should use the HEAD of the FAI cvs tree as your basis because the disk
partitioning/formatting code has changed dramatically")