FAI update scripts?

Tue Jul 24 12:37:43 CEST 2001

    > I've now got FAI going in a marvellous fashion, and I'm happy
    > with it's performance.  What I'm after now is some way to ensure
    > that the packages and so forth on all machines are the latest as
    > defined by the classes.  Obviously the easiest way to do this is
    > to reinstall all machines periodically, but it seems to be
    > massive overkill.

I'm using this simple script to get a email every day (via cron), if
there's a new version of an installed packages. It would also be
possible to update these packages directly.

#! /bin/sh

apt-get -q2 update && apt-get --simulate --show-upgraded upgrade

But I think, you want more.  If you change the list of packages for a
certain class in the configuration space on the install server,
there's no solution yet. First, you must assure that packages that are
removed from a class are marked with the minus
(eg. kernel-sources-2.2.19-), so they will be deinstalled when calling
apt-get install ..... I think a small perl script (less that 60lines
or so ;-) can read the classes and file in package_config/ and then call
apt-get. This new feature will be put on the TODO queue at the front.

--
 Thomas
            Thomas Lange

1024D/AB9B66FD AEA6 A8C1 BD8E 67C4 8EF6  8BCA DC13 E54E AB9B 66FD