Installing applications from sources

Tue Dec 18 18:16:52 CET 2001

    > If I want to install a big application from a tarball, I need to
    > put it in the directory /fai/files, no?. but creating a
    > directory per file is tedious. How I can do it more efficiently?

An example: You application called foo should be installed to
/usr/local/foodir. Create a tarball (FOO.tar.gz) of your application
and put it into /fai/files/usr/local/foodir/FOO.tar.gz. Then add a
ftar command to /fai/scripts/DEFAULT (or any other) which will unpack
the tarball to the directory. The ftar call should look like this (not
tested):

ftar /usr/local/foodir

If you define the class FOO, this ftar commands extracts your
application to the desired directory.

--
Gruss Thomas