Problems with bootp and self-compiled kernels

Chad Walstrom chad at ima.umn.edu
Sat Dec 15 00:04:11 CET 2001

Phil wrote:
> I wanted to add aic7xxx support in the boot kernel (I don't know if it
> should have been loaded automatically as a module, but it did not do
> so) but I was not able to boot because the kernel did not send any
> bootp requests.

You'll want to compile it in monolithically as opposed to modular.  If
you do so, you'll need an initrd image, something you'll have to create
manually.

Phil wrote regarding the fai-kernel package source:
> the I option is used in tar and it should be -j :

Yes, that's a valid error.  I just download the fai-kernels for the
config files and then compile it myself.

I don't ever compile anything in /usr/src.  It's the wrong place to do
such things; /usr anything is the wrong place for such things.
Regardless, much can be customized for regular use of kernel-package in
/etc/kernel-pkg.conf.  It's still nice to have the fai-kernel package
for it's config files.

Not sure why you're seeing a problem with BOOTP.

--
Chad C. Walstrom <chad at ima.umn.edu>             http://www.ima.umn.edu
Assistant Systems Manager, IMA                  Phone: 612-624-4353