Proposed small change

Wed Aug 1 09:48:18 CEST 2001

    > zcat /fai/images/foo.tar.gz | $ROOTCMD tar zxf - === and here
Why not zcat /fai/images/foo.tar.gz | tar -C $target -zxf -  ? Then
you can skip copying /lib/lib*.so and other things to $target.

But it's very kind to post your own special scipt to the mailling
list, so all FAI users can improve their installations. I wish that
other users would also post their experiences and little scripts for
FAI to this list, so we can exchange our know-how.

    > In general, it would be nice if a hook could make the code
    > following it be skipped.
Yes, you are right, skipping is a must.

    > You could even write a function called fai_default_action which
    > invokes the right *.DEFAULT hook.  The downside to this change is that
    > old hook files must be updated when people upgrade FAI.
Yes, you're right. The default behavior should not be located in
/usr/local/share/fai, it must be included in the main script or
lib/subroutines). But I can solve this problem.

    > This feature is only _needed_ if you want to use FAI to install
    > something other than Debian, like Red Hat.  But it would be nice
    > nonetheless, no?
I'm thinking about it, and maybe it will be included in the next
release. But FAI should not become a script language, where you can
write installation programs for all kinds of installations. If you
look at fai_install() in rcS_fai there are many possiblilities which
parts to skip. So it will be difficult to define what's the default
part to skip for a certain hook. So if you want to do something very
different from the default installation sequence, you should define
you own FAI_ACTION and write a script to to this job. This feature
will also be included in the next release. Currently you can use the
hook "action" for that.

--
 Thomas
            Thomas Lange

1024D/AB9B66FD AEA6 A8C1 BD8E 67C4 8EF6  8BCA DC13 E54E AB9B 66FD