New version 1.3.0test1 !

Thu Oct 26 15:48:31 CEST 2000

Hi everybody,

the new version of FAI is out now. If has significant improvements and
changes, but I'm sorry the documentation is missing, cause I'm still
working on it and it's far from being complete.

The package size has grown (approx. 10MB), since it now includes two
big kernel packages for BOOTP and DHCP. These kernels are using most
drivers (except network devices) as modules.

I hope you enjoy the new version and drop me a line. Any comments are
welcome. And I promise a manual will be available before .... We will
see ;-). Get it from:

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/

Here are the new things:

fai (1.3.0test1) unstable; urgency=low

  * kernel in nfsroot is now build with kernel-package (make-kpkg)
  * installkernel now supports loadable modules
  * class/S05modules.sh can load modules (example global.mod)
  * add script make-fai-bootfloppy
  * client's timezone during installation is now the same as on server
  * FAI_ACTION sysinfo now mounts all local disk and searches for fstab
  * add support for expect scripts
  * add kernel-nfs-server support
  * do not create account fai if it already exists (e.g when using NIS)
  * new format for keymap and consolefont definition

How to install fai_1.3.0test1
-----------------------------
copy base2_2.tgz to /tmp or make a symbolic link to your mounted local
mirror

touch /etc/fai.conf
dpkg -i fai_1.3.0test1_i386.deb

dpkg will notice that you already have a fai.conf and ask what to do:
choose Z to get a shell prompt. Then

cp /etc/fai.conf.dpkg-new /etc/fai.conf

and change /etc/fai.conf to meet your local needs
leave your editor , type fg and choose N

Now the big nfsroot will be set up. Please be patient, 87MB of software
will be installed.

If you make changes to /etc/fai.conf after installing fai, rebuild
the nfsroot using following commands:

rm -rf /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
make-fai-nfsroot

--
 Thomas
            Thomas Lange

1024D/AB9B66FD AEA6 A8C1 BD8E 67C4 8EF6  8BCA DC13 E54E AB9B 66FD