Cannot rsh on woody

Jens Rühmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Fri Nov 24 15:55:55 CET 2000

Hi Eray!

> what's the deal with the woody versions of rlogin / rsh?
> Although nis is working wonderfully, that's
> $ ypcat passwd

Well, we have a woody-node up and running with rsh and NIS. So we should
be able to figure out what your problem is :)

0. If you have not already done so, take a closer look in /var/log/auth.log,
then check one ore more of the following:

1. What does e.g. /etc/hosts.equiv say? Something like
-- snip --
+ at cluster
-- snap --

2. Are your netgroups properly defined? So, does /etc/netgroup somewhat look
like this:

-- snip --
host00		(host00,,)
[...]
host31		(host31,,)

server		(server,,)

cluster	host00 [...] host31
penguins server cluster
-- snap --

3. What's about PAM? rsh / rlogin use a file in /etc/pam.d/ to setup their
PAM service modules (/etc/pam.conf is seldomly used for this).  So, do you
have a line like

auth            sufficient      pam_rhosts_auth.so

in /etc/pam.d/rlogin?

Send me more details about your configuration if this still fails. If PAM is
your problem (what I suppose) maybe you want to take a look at the pam-doc
(included in package libpam-doc).

Hope this helps!

Jens