[fai] Newbies questions

Bruno BEAUFILS Bruno.Beaufils at lifl.fr
Thu Nov 23 17:41:15 CET 2000

Hi all,

Finally I will have the opportunity to try FAI on one of our computer student
room, which is composed of 14 NEC PC (PIII 750 Mhz with 20Gb hard drive).

So I would like to have some help from people who may help me. Here are some
very newbie questions, hope someone will find the time to answer some of them.

My goal is to configure my own workstation as a FAI server (its a debian
woody) and to install all computers of the room first as Debian potato, and if
possible in Debian woody (my students would like to use helix-gnome and kde2
:)

1- I downloaded the fai test 1.3.0 test2 debian package and tried to install
   it on what's will become my FAI server, but I got troubles with the
   postinst script as you can see :

sole:/home/ens/beaufils/adminsys/fai# dpkg -i fai_1.3.0test2_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 68469 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace fai 1.3.0test2 (using fai_1.3.0test2_i386.deb) ...
Re-exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
rmdir: `/usr/local/share/fai': No such file or directory
Unpacking replacement fai ...
Setting up fai (1.3.0test2) ...
id: fai: No such user
dpkg: error processing fai (--install):
 fai

 Anyone have an idea why it is not able to create the fai user, or have a
 clean script ?

2- I would like to create a local debian repository on my FAI server (I have
   plenty of space), so I would like to have repositories for potato and woody
   *releases* on my computer. Do someone know where I may be able to find some
   kind of documentations on how to do such a thing via the network (I do not
   want to copy my CDs) ?

That's all for today :-)

Bruno BEAUFILS                                    http://www.lifl.fr/~beaufils
Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale de Lille
Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille     Tel   : +33 3 20 43 47 27
UFR d'IEEA - Bat M3 - Bureau 318                     Fax   : +33 3 20 43 65 66
59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex - FRANCE               email : beaufils at lifl.fr