Problems with new stuff in Debian 2.2

Pedro Guerreiro pmguerre at ualg.pt
Thu Jun 8 13:21:42 CEST 2000

> > 3. Does one need to mount /usr from other machine or not? From the stuff
> > I've read, we don't, and FAI uses the /usr from the base Debian tarball.
> > But the FAI scripts use stuff that are not available in the base system,
> > e.g. stuff from perl-5.005 (Getopt::Std in setup_harddisks) that isn't
> > available. If I mount the /usr from the server, all works fine (and the
> > problem from 2. it's also fixed). Maybe one should mount /usr be default?
>
> if you dont't want to mount /usr than you have to copy at least a few
> executables to the fai nfsroot image:

I've no problems mounting /usr. The problem is the lack of documentation
saying that one _must_ do that in order to have everything working.

Maybe in the INSTALL file, you should add the folowing:

--- snip ---

[...]

These are important FAI_ Variables: [BTW, there is a typo in this line]

[...all the stuff that is there...]

FAI_NFSSERVER_USR	Where the clients are going to mount the /usr
			from. If you don't want to mount /usr, then please
			copy this files [list of files needed] to
			/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
--- snip ---

Is this a bad ideia?

BTW, if this is already somewhere in the docs (and I didn't find it) them
please guide me in the right direction and I'll shut up at once :-)

Thanks,
Pedro Guerreiro