Problem with network boot

Tue Dec 19 13:31:37 CET 2000

    > PXE-E3A:  TFTP too many packages
It's a known problem with EtherExpress cards when the kernel is too big.

    > This makes an installimage of about 460k.  When I boot over the
    > network, I can see that BOOTP exchanges ARP and IP addresses
    > okay.  Tcpdump shows that a TFTP transfer happens. But then I
    > see the following message:
    > 	Broadcast 42: arp who-has faiclient01 tell faiserver
    > But then nothing more happens.  The arp entry for faiclient01 on
    > faiserver has expired.
    > Why does the PC not bootstrap?

Have your add an entry for faiclient01 into /etc/ethers or the
corresponding NIS map ? I think your kernel have some wrong options.
Reverse ARP is not nedded, instead add BOOTP support to the kernel.

Maybe tou can send me some boot messages that appear on the screen and
the whole config for the kernel. I will then try to solve the problem. I
have a notebook with an EtherExpress NIS card.

--
 Thomas
            Thomas Lange

1024D/AB9B66FD AEA6 A8C1 BD8E 67C4 8EF6  8BCA DC13 E54E AB9B 66FD