fai-diskimage and STRETCH64.tar.xz

Emmanuel Kasper manu at debian.org
Tue Sep 12 11:39:49 CEST 2017

Hi Thomas, Hi fai developpers / users

I started with success to build disk images for creating Debian Vagrant
base boxes with fai-disk-image. Thanks for the fish !
My initial work is in git.debian.org:/git/cloud/fai-cloud-images.git in
the branch vagrant_boxes_generic_image

I have one small bug to report and one question.

the bug:
in
https://github.com/faiproject/fai/blob/master/examples/simple/basefiles/mk-basefile#L98
we delete the /etc/machine-id file for debian based VMs

this has the effect that on a freshly created Debian VM using
STRETCH64.tar.xz
several systemd daemons which depend on this file will fail:
[FAILED] Failed to start Journal Service.
See 'systemctl status systemd-journald.service' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start Network Time Synchronization.
See 'systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service' for details.

instead /etc/machine-de file should be probably truncated to 0 bytes, so
that on next boot the systemd machinery recreates the uuid

the question:
is https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=866331 actually a
bug of fai-diskimage or not ?

I am a bit worried if I setup the build of VMs via a makefile, I cannot
catch an error in the build process as the make target doing the build
will always succeed.
What do you think ?

Emmanuel