FAI 5.0 release candidate

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 6 18:16:31 CET 2015

We are very happy to announce the release candidate of FAI 5.0!

We plan to have a two week period of testing before the final release
will be made. We still work on the FAI guide, but it has yet changed a
lot and was updated for the new FAI version.

Please give FAI 5.0 a try and give us feedback via email on this list.
The easiest way is to get the new ISO image, and install from CD or
USB stick using a virtual machine.

Here are a few of the new things in FAI:

* new auto discover function, the client is searching the network for a FAI server
* FAI shows a curses based menu for selecting a profile if the flag menu is set
* ready-to-go setup of the FAI server using the FAI CD
* ready-to-go FAI classes for CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 14.04
* Cloning machines using image installation (hook extrbase.IMAGE)
* action sysinfo now also mounts lvm and RAID devices
* use httpredir.debian.org as default
* fai-cd now uses dracut instead of live-boot
  use of squashfs creates smaller CD images
  fai-cd replaces fai-nfsroot2image
* dnf support for rpm based distributions
* improved btrfs support
* new command fai-kvm for starting a virtual machine
* new command fai-mk-network for setting up different test networks
* files *.source are renamed to .sh
* fai-cd: no networking for the rescue boot entry by default

You can get the newest version by adding this line to your
sources.list file:

deb http://fai-project.org/download release-testing koeln

The ISO image is available at http://fai-project.org/fai-cd/faicd64-5.0~rc10.iso

--