setup-storage and GPT partition tables with EFI boot partition

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Wed Feb 25 10:35:32 CET 2015

Hi,

Thomas Lange wrote on 2015-02-23 18:56:52 +0100 [Re: setup-storage and GPT partition tables with EFI boot partition]:

>     > disk_config sda fstabkey:uuid disklabel:gpt
> [...]
> What if setup-storage would support a new "file system type" efi? This
> would create a FAT32 fiel system but would set the partition type to
> 0xef00 (EFI SYSTEM PARTITION). Then the disk_config file could be like
> this:
>
> primary /boot/efi       512     efi     rw
> primary /               30000   ext4    rw
>

> Any comments?

what happens if you have more than one partition marked "efi"? Is that legal?
Does the EFI partition need to be the first one?

If it's not legal to specify "efi" on any partition you want, then in my
opinion it shouldn't be a virtual FS type. I don't know the specification, but
those are the questions that pop into my mind (and I'm not quite sure how an
EFI implementation would be supposed to handle more than one EFI system
partition ;-).

Supposing you are only allowed to have one EFI partition per disk, the
disk_config line would seem to be the appropriate place for the information
(because there's exactly one disk_config line per disk). But again, I'm only
guessing.

Regards,
Holger