RFC: How to improve Ubuntu support

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Nov 5 18:55:23 CET 2014

    > Currently I see the following ways of improving things:

    > * Get the FAI-Project at launchpad[1] up to date.
Nice. I will contact someone, that can give you write access to the
launchpad page.

    > I can do this, but it would be nice to have that extra branch with
    > releases to automate the process (see my other mail)
But creating a branch called release is not enough IMO. You'll have to
apply some patches to make a release for Ubuntu. For e.g. package and repository
names are different. How do you want to handle the diffs between the
original FAI sources and the Ubuntu version of FAI?

    > * Improve the example configuration
    > I see two ways of doing this. First make a second example "Ubuntu" or
    > just add all the necessary changes in comments. As one should look
    > through the configuration anyway this might be the solution that is
    > easiest to maintain.
We already have a package_config/UBUNTU in FAI. Is this not
sufficient? Sure the repository URLs are different for Ubuntu, but
this should be done in the FAI package for Ubuntu.

    > * NFSROOT
    > Ok, this is the one giving my the biggest headache. One solution would
    > be to add an extra folder or something. IMO the nicer solution would be
    > adapt the way the fai-client is working: Add a script that detects the
    > right classes and use that to select the files. This would allow to not
    > only manage those file on a distro-basis, but also on a release-bases.
    > In the end it is possible to manage multiple nfs roots with the same
    > config folder and the only file that needs to be adjusted is the
    > nfsroot.conf.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Please give more details
about your thoughts.

Currently fai-setup and fai-make-nfsroot can be called with -C
/etc/fai-ubuntu or something similar.