FAI, fai-cd and multiple architectures

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Thu Jun 26 11:53:46 CEST 2014

Hello,

one more question: can someone tell me about the status of support for
multiple architectures in FAI?

Currently, I am preparing new FAI installations for Off-Site
installations using fai-cd. The target machines range from PCs from the
last stone age to brand new ones. Wherever possible, I want to install
amd64 architecture, but I need to support i386 as well. Currently, I am
building two CDs, one with i386 "nfsroot", kernel and mirror and another
one with the same for amd64.

I wonder if it is possible to combine these two into one?

First, is it possible to use the same nfsroot for both architectures?

If it is, then the only thing that's left is support for multiple
architectures in fai-mirror. Has anyone already tried this?

Thanks,
Andreas

P.S.: For the amd64 version, I have also managed to get EFI support
working in fai-cd. This is highly site-specific at the moment and just
copies a pre-existing grubx64.efi along with modules (taken from the
Debian CDs) to the CD, which is probably not the way it should be done.
I will post what I've done when I think it is done.