Changes to make-fai-nfsroot

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Feb 16 19:59:46 CET 2013

Hi,

I just recently upgraded one of our FAI install servers from Squeeze to
Wheezy which meant upgrading the FAI packages from 3.4.7 to 4.0.

After that, I ran into problems with the nfs roots created with
make-fai-nfsroot (now called fai-make-nfsroot).

The first problem was that the directory hierarchy for the nfs roots has
been changed making Debian Live fail to boot. Formerly, the nfs root was
located in /srv/fai/nfsroot/nfsroot-<dist>-<arch>/live/filesystem.dir
while the new version removed the "live/filesystem.dir" sub-directories.
After creating the sub-directories and moving the sub-directory back
into the old hierachy, Debian Live would boot again.

However, I still ran into more problems. While Debian Live worked now
and the FAI installation was initiated, it stops at a very early stage
with "fai: installation aborted" without further error messages.

Manually invoking "fai install" actually kicks off the installation,
however it stops with FAI refusing onto a running system (which is
expected).

Can anyone give me some further hints which parts of the FAI
configuration I need to update to get a working fai-make-nfsroot? The
changes have to be related to fai-make-nfsroot since the FAI version in
the created nfs roots for Wheezy was already at 4.0.

Is the change in the directory hierarchy intentional? I'm not sure
whether Debian Live requires the original structure.

Cheers,

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz