Partition type should be "Linux raid autodetect"

Fredrik Eriksson fredrik.eriksson at axis.com
Thu Sep 15 16:58:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

Sorry it took so long..

On 09/01/2011 12:13 AM, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi Fredrik,
>
> [...]
>> We noticed that, after an installation where we preserve a LVM
>> volume under RAID (thanks again for that functionality), the
>> partition table will look like this,
>>
> Despite Julien's comment about raid-autodetect being deprecated I'd like to
> fully understand the (potential) problem. Could you please help me understand
> whether you have as member of the software RAID LVM volumes or disk partitions?
> I'd assume it's the latter as otherwise the partition type "raid autodetect"
> wouldn't make sense, but could you please confirm this?

Yes, these are the two partitions on the first disk,

>>    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>>     /dev/sda1 * 1 65 522081 83 Linux
>>     /dev/sda2 66 60801 487861920 83 Linux
>>
>> instead of,
>>
>>    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>>     /dev/sda1 * 1 65 522081 fd Linux raid autodetect
>>     /dev/sda2 66 60801 487861920 fd Linux raid autodetect
>>
> Just as another request for confirmation, if setup-storage gets to see the above
> table and preserves those partitions, you end up with the first partition table
> given above?

I had to try this with a fresh install and then one with preserved
vg0-home, this is now confirmed.

To make this more clear, here are the two disk_config files,

   HD_SW_RAID:
disk_config disk1 bootable:1
primary    -    522081K    -    -
primary    -    0-    -    -

disk_config disk2 bootable:1
primary    -    522081K    -    -
primary    -    0-    -    -

disk_config raid
raid1    /boot    sda1,sdb1    ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
raid1    -    sda2,sdb2    -    -

disk_config lvm
vg    vg0    md1
vg0-swap    swap        4096    swap    rw
vg0-local    /usr/local    10240    ext3    rw
vg0-src        /usr/src    10240    ext3    rw
vg0-usr        /usr        10240    ext3    rw
vg0-var        /var        10240    ext3    rw
vg0-tmp        /tmp        2048    ext3    rw
vg0-home    /home        97280    ext3    rw
vg0-root    /        4096    ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro

   and HD_SW_RAID_PRESERVE:
disk_config disk1 bootable:1
primary -       522081K -       -
primary -       0-      -       -

disk_config disk2 bootable:1
primary -       522081K -       -
primary -       0-      -       -

disk_config raid preserve_lazy:0,1 always_format:0
raid1   /boot   sda1,sdb1       ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
raid1   -       sda2,sdb2       -       -

disk_config lvm preserve_always:vg0-home

--
Fredrik