shorten dmesg.log

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Aug 19 16:06:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Hello everyone,
>
> FAI always saves the whole dmesg output on softupdates. This results in "errors"/unknown lines (error.log) even if those kernel messages were sent long ago, but you probably already known about them and you don't want to be disturbed by these old messages every time again. (Of course you can add more "rules" to savelog.LAST.source, but you don't want to disable serious error messages.)

[...]

Would you mind taking a look at the logtail patch that's been sitting in
experimental for almost forever already?

You can fetch the patch from

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/fai/branches/experimental/patches/logtail?revision=6328&view=markup

if you feel like a simple way to access it. I didn't do anything about duplicate
save_dmesg, though, but would be really keen on feedback about that patch. It
requires logtail as an additional package, but makes the patch a bit simpler.

Best regards,