Switching $FAI_CONFIG_SRC

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Mar 15 00:48:52 CET 2011

Hi again,

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 03/14/2011 06:44 PM, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > I wouldn't really feel comfortable with this happening in a softupdate because
> > it is rm -rf $FAI, i.e., has a variable as target. Why not just bail out with an
> > error in this case? Now if you really intend to change the URL or scheme you'd
> > possibly be updating fai.conf manually or via a FAI-scripted operation.
> > Therefore you could also include the code to do this rm -rf in that round.
>
> it's not at all obvious to me how to do this within a FAI hook/postinst
> without breaking the rest of the current softupdate run.

I didn't claim it was trivial :-) - likely it would work best by temporarily
installing a cron job that deletes itself afterwards. Doing it manually might be
simpler, though.

> How about this: if STDOUT is a terminal, prompt the user whether to rm
> -rf, otherwise abort with an error? Of course we should also check for
> the case of just an empty directory, which can be safely deleted.

I'd mainly opt for sanity checks on the value and contents of $FAI before
calling rm -rf $FAI (e.g., either $FAI is an empty directory or $FAI/class and
$FAI/scripts exist).

Of course, you may also claim that running a softupdate puts your system at risk
of breaking lots of things anyway, but then at least FAI core components should
have some safety net built in.

Best,