Fixing setup-storage_no-cylinder-boundaries

Julien BLACHE jblache at debian.org
Thu Mar 10 17:44:36 CET 2011

Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

> I'd have two more questions:
>
> - By default P1 should start at sector 63, yes, but shouldn't align-at override
>   that as well?

It's more complicated than that :| To be compatible with previous
versions of setup-storage, you need to handle P1 and P5 the same way as
previous versions did and use the same alignment for the other
partitions.

There is no way to obtain this behaviour with align-at alone.

Honestly, we're flogging a dead horse. I'd just kill support for
align-at for msdos disklabels (it's pretty dead already after my fixes)
and be done with this. It's not worth the trouble.

In any case, setup-storage must come up with the same layout before and
after the patch or it badly breaks when preserving partitions.

> - For P5, could you give me pointers for the 256B-value? I thought (and this is
>   what I implemented) that it was one head, but I might be wrong.

256 was from the top of my head, it's whatever space is needed at the
start of the extended partitions area. ISTR it's 256 bytes, but I could
be wrong.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache at debian.org>