The autotesting suite: Kantan

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Oct 25 18:20:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

I hate manual testing of software as much as I hate lack of Q/A.
That's why I wrote Kantan, a simple testing suite using Grml and
KVM.

I am proud to announce the first easy to use and working version of
it. It's in an early stage but what it already provides is a fully
automated installation of a FAI server and installation of FAI
clients (using simple examples provided by FAI or any configured
config space). This allows me to autotest any FAI version without
much effort.

The full installation of the FAI server (package installation,
creation of nfsroot and setup of dhcp/nfs/tftp/...) using FAI 3.4.4
with simple examples takes about 20 minutes on my somewhat-old
laptop (Core2Duo, 2GB RAM) with a slow external USB disk and a
non-local Debian mirror (cdn.debian.net). The installation of
clients takes about 15 minutes.

Besides the CPU (for KVM) the execution time is mainly limited by
I/O and network, the faster your disks and the used Debian mirror
are the more fun it will be. :)

The setup and usage is pretty trivial, see
http://grml.org/kantan/#setup for details.

Find the project website at http://grml.org/kantan/
and if you're interested in the source check out
http://git.grml.org/?p=kantan.git

I've tons of further ideas what we could do with Kantan and plan to
continue my work on it. I'd appreciate any feedback and welcome any
testers.

regards,
-mika-