FAI Stable release 3.4.0

Julien BLACHE jblache at debian.org
Mon Aug 16 17:36:09 CEST 2010

Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

>> As /dev/md0 is started before this parted command is executed, both
>> disks are now busy and the kernel can't re-read the partition table.
>
> Would it be possible to verify that the very same problem appears if you use the
> experimental FAI packages? I think there shouldn't be any difference, but just
> wanted to make sure that a future patch really fixes this issue.

Looking at the patches in experimental right now, I don't see how any of
them would change any of that :)

>> I think the best we can do is to add || true to this particular command
>> in set_partition_type_phys_dev(), at least for now. Anything else will
>> probably be too invasive for 3.4 at this stage...
>
> I'd like to fix this by enforcing an order of commands where all partition-table
> related commands appear before any array on that disk is started. The patch that
> is supposed to achieve this is ready, just waiting for the above
> cross-validation before committing it to experimental.

That would be nice, but it might be too invasive for FAI 3.4.x and
Squeeze, and that's where an urgent fix is needed right now...

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE <jblache at debian.org>  |  Debian, because code matters more
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer        |       <http://www.debian.org>