FAI roadmap

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Jul 23 10:43:42 CEST 2010

>     > I'd propose something as simple as checking for -d /etc/dhcp3 or -d /etc/dhcp
>     > (just writing that off the top of my head, paths may be wrong) and act
>     > accordingly!? I might be missing something and clearly the patch proposed by
>     > DHCP maintainers did not have this feature, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.
> I will not work because of fixed pathes in the packages.
>
> fai-nfsroot.install: etc/dhcp3/dhclient-fai-script
> fai-nfsroot.install: etc/dhcp3/dhclient-fai.conf

Following Debian do-ocracy-style I just thought I'd come up with a patch and
then discuss it. But, well, has anybody out there actually looked at what truly
will be broken with the dhcp transition? In some way, Thomas, you are right:
These two files being installed are the root of all evil. BUT are people aware
of the way they are being used? It's just a single line in get-boot-info:

dhclient -lf /dev/null -cf /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-fai.conf -sf /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-fai-script $netdevices >>$bootlog 2> $LOGDIR/dhclient.log

Now come on, what is the point of installing them into /etc/dhcp3? Why not just
put them in /usr/share/fai *and leave them there*?

@Thomas: I might have missed something, but in case I don't: Can't we just
change that and be happy?

Well, honestly, there are more uses of dhcp3: The FAI Guide refers to this path
and the simple example also ship a dhcpd.conf in that directory. But switching
over to /etc/dhcp should be just fine, it shouldn't break any existing installs.
What remains is the new dhcp-edit, but I'd assume checking for /etc/dhcp vs.
/etc/dhcp3 shouldn't be a problem in a script.

A proposed patch is soon to appear in the experimental branch.  Please, Thomas,
please, let us find a way that FAI will work on both lenny and squeeze. It's
such a small issue only and we've probably spend more time discussing it (and
possible consequences) than it would have taken to fix it in the first place.

Thanks a lot,