Return code of setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Jun 4 13:03:59 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

[...]

> What made the problem difficult to debug was the fact setup-storage
> or, more precisely, the partition script created by setup-storage did
> not fail during FAI_INSTALL even though mkfs.ext4 returned with exit
> code 1.
>
> Since I am not that familiar with setup-storage yet, I'm wondering
> whether setup-storage should actually fail in case any of the commands
> executed by it do not return a zero exit status. Can anyone tell me
> whether this is the case? If not, I think this is a bug in
> setup-storage which should be fixed. FAI_INSTALL should always fail in
> case any of the commands for setting up the partitions fail.

You're bringing up something that has bothered me for quite a while, but I never
found the time to completely fix this. My problem is that I'm not sure all
non-zero exits of subcommands are actual errors. You might have noticed that
there is a warning about this non-zero exit status. At this point it would be
very easy to just stop immediately and have setup-storage fail.

What I would need to take this step is input from as many sources as possible:
If people could provide (debug-)logs of (successful) setup-storage runs on
paste.debian.net or via mail I could quickly review them and check for possible
pitfalls.

Thanks in advance,