using fai-chboot with mac-address

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Jun 1 08:39:41 CEST 2010

Hi Torge,

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 18:06:02 +0200, Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I think it's just that nobody requested it before. But it should be
> pretty
> > straight forward to come up with a patch: Just check for ":" in the
> > hostname and
> > handle this accordingly in the host2hex function of fai-chboot.
> >
> > Best,
> > Michael
>
> Yes, I think so ;-) Here is a small patch I have written yesterday;

[...]

Thanks a lot for quickly providing a patch. I've slightly adapted your patch and
dropped the part where a hostname of exactly 12 xdigits is also taken as a mac
address - in my opinion it should be acceptable to use : or - as separators to
ensure there is no confusion (12 xdigits could well be a valid hostname). I've
also updated the man page.

@Holger: I think the match as done should be fine
(/^([[:xdigit:]]{2}[:-]){5}[[:xdigit:]]{2}$/), no way to confuse this with IPv6
addresses. But thanks for spotting the possible problem, it made me take extra
care!

The patch is included in FAI 3.4~beta1+experimental25. Testing is much
appreciated!!!

Best,