Unittesting via Grml?

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Mar 31 17:48:20 CEST 2010

> Hi,
>
> recently we started to work towards unittests for Grml
> (http://grml.org/ - a Debian based live system which ships and
> uses FAI as part of the grml-live buildsystem).
>
> Our unittests provide a way to be able to test low-level stuff like
> partitioning, installation and deployment and as FAI is part of Grml
> already it might be an interesting way to get unittests for FAI.

This is *really cool*!!! In fact, Henning (Sprang) and I discussed this a while
ago but none of us found the time to effectively start implementing something
like this.

> If you're interested in it find the details in:
>
>   http://ml.grml.org/pipermail/grml-devel/2010-March/000023.html
>
> If anyone of you is motivated to write test scripts for automating
> some usual FAI tasks you can count with my help. (I plan to write
> unit tests for the dirinstall feature of FAI on my own.)
>
> Please provide feedback and let us know if you need any assistance
> or have suggestions regarding our unittest framework.

We also discussed that at least two more aspects would be important:

- Documentation. Where could we find the results, what do they look like, etc.
- Automation. Full automation. Ideally, we would have some server doing the
  tests after each and every commit (or daily, or whatever granularity fits
  best).

At the last FAI workshop we also tried to setup something similar, but back then
KVM wasn't quite stable. Anyway, you might want to have a look at
people/michael/features/kvm_fai_tester in the SVN.

Please please keep us posted on your progress with the dirinstall testing stuff:
I'm too busy to work on this right now, but I'm really interested in testing
solutions for FAI.

Thanks a lot,