FAI Support for FreeBSD

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Jan 11 18:53:31 CET 2010

    > I am interested if FAI can be modified to support FreeBSD and the ports
    > infrastructure? I would be particularly interested in native support, if
    > that can be done.

Since I do not have any experiences with BSD, I need some information
about differences between Linux and BSD. Here are several questions I have:

- What type of disklabel does FreeBSD use?
- Is the tool parted available?
- Which bootloader can be used? grub?
- FAI reads some information from /proc. We have to check, if BSD will
  give FAI all needed information
- Is there a tool for creating a minimal chroot environment? Debian
  has debootstrap for that.
- Is there something similar to aufs-modules? If there's somthing like
  a live CD for FreeBSD, we will find similar techniques there.
- Which command line tool installs packages? Does is resolve package dependencies?

First, the major difficult part will be creating the nfsroot and
booting and mounting a file system via NFS. I guess this is much different to Linux.