Huge number of lintian messages

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri May 1 19:10:58 CEST 2009

    >> W: fai source: package-uses-deprecated-debhelper-compat-version 4

    > uhm, yes, should be set to 5 (to ease backporting to etch)
Already set to 7.

    >> W: fai source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.0 (current is 3.8.1)
    > yeah...
?? What does yeah mean? Did you check if the current version applies
to 3.8.1?

    >> "section" in package fai-quickstart I: fai source:
    >> binary-control-field-duplicates-source field "homepage" in package
    >> fai-nfsroot I: fai source: binary-control-field-duplicates-source field
    >> "section" in package fai-nfsroot
    > those should be fixed right in trunk now, lenny is out, and we should use the
    > appropriate headers only.
Yes. Do you have a patch?

    >> usr/share/man/man8/ftar.8.gz:80 I: fai-client: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign
    >> usr/share/man/man8/ftar.8.gz:84 I: fai-client: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign

    > those should be fixed in trunk too. I also recommend to read the explaination
    > why this change is useful - it really is. :-)
Yes, it's useful to fix this. Any help from you?

    >> usr/share/man/man8/setup-storage.8.gz:378 W: fai-client:
    >> binary-without-manpage usr/bin/device2grub
    >> W:
    >> fai-nfsroot: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/faireboot
    >> W: fai-nfsroot: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/policy-rc.d.fai
    >> W:
    >> fai-server: binary-without-manpage sbin/fai-start-stop-daemon
    > this should be fixed, probably via wishlist bug (to be filed once a patch
    > exists, until then I would just rely oin lintian to remind us) and
    > experimental branch.
Since those commands are never executed by a FAI user (thery are only
for internal use), I think a man page is not that important. It you
wanna have a man page, feel free to write one. A wishlist bug is not
needed.

    > btw, I'd recommend to switch to asciidoc and write manpages and the fai-guide
    > in asciidoc, its way easier to maintain than sgml and manpage sourcecode.
I know. This is also my intention.

    >> W: fai-client: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/setup_harddisks
    > isn't it the perfect time now to remove setup_harddisks completly?!
I like to do this in lenny+1.

    >> E: fai-client: dir-or-file-in-var-run var/run/fai/
    > that one needs investigation.
Already done.

    >> P: fai-client: copyright-refers-to-symlink-license
    >> usr/share/common-licenses/GPL
    >> P: fai-doc:
    >> copyright-refers-to-symlink-license usr/share/common-licenses/GPL
    >> P: fai-nfsroot: copyright-refers-to-symlink-license
    >> usr/share/common-licenses/GPL
    > should be fixed in trunk, by pointing to GPL-2
Patch?

    >> P: fai-nfsroot: maintainer-script-without-set-e postrm
    >> P: fai-nfsroot: maintainer-script-without-set-e preinst
    >> P: fai-nfsroot: maintainer-script-without-set-e postinst
    >> P: fai-nfsroot: maintainer-script-without-set-e prerm

    > I'd recommend fixing those in trunk if Thomas agrees.
Therefore we have the experimental branch. Feel free to create a
patch, then I will review it and apply it to trunk.

    >> W: fai-server: maintainer-script-empty postinst
    > fix in trunk
No. IMO this is a false positive of lintian. Have a look at the script itself.

    >>  usr/share/man/man1/ainsl.1.gz:58 I: fai-client: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign
    >> sheer number of those warnings. I'd offer to take this one,
OK, you can fix those in trunk.