problems with lvm configurations

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Oct 10 12:54:50 CEST 2008

[...]
> > > The lvm seems to work well, when the disk is brand new.  I'm using
> > > virtualbox to do all the testing in, so making a "new" drive is cheap. :)
> > >  Anyway, after the first run using lvm (the first run always seems to
> > > work fine), doing it a second time won't work.  Also switching back to a
> > > normal partitioning scheme won't work, and I have to make a new disk
> > > image.  Also dd'ing a lot of zero's to the drive doesn't seem to work
> > > either, although I think doing that in combination with vgremove may
> > > work.  There's too many options for me to remember all my steps.
> > >
> > > I've just noticed that you have experimental4 on the website now, and all
> > > these problems are based off of experimental3, so I'm going to install
> > > the new packages and try them out before I send a more detailed report.
> >
> > Ok, I would't expect experimental4 to fix those problems; rather, they
> > should have been fixed long ago :-) Could you please provide a fai.log with
> > debugging enabled? This would really help a lot to get this one fixed as
> > well.
> I haven't had time to do much testing with lvm on the e4 packages.  I just
> recently rebuilt my nfsroot image with the e4.  I do have some logs that I
> made with the e3 packages that I will attach.  Actually, I think I'll only
> attach one of them, and go ahead and run the code again.
>
> here's the command I used for this -
> env LOGDIR=./logdir disklist=hda setup-storage -d -X -f lvm-diskconfig &>
> output
>
> The first run was done on a blank disk.  This output is from the subsequent
> run.

Hmm, too bad, I'm either using Linux::LVM in some errornous way, or it is still
broken. Could you help me debug this? Do things get any better if you replace
line 321 in /usr/share/fai/setup-storage/Volumes.pm by

    sort keys %pv_info;

(it was sort keys %{ get_physical_volume_information($vg) };)?

Thanks,