problems with lvm configurations

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Oct 10 10:55:29 CEST 2008

> I've been having some problems when using lvm configurations.  The normal
> partitioning, and the raid configurations are both working just fine.  I
> haven't tried testing "preserve" or anything fancy.  When using raid, the
> disk_var.sh still shows /dev/md0 as the boot device.  I don't know if this
> what's intended or not.  The way I've been handling this is as follows:
>
> if bootdevice starts with '/dev/md' then
> 	look for /boot/grub/device.map
> 	if device.map doesn't exist then
> 		run "grub-mkdevicemap -n"
> 	search device.map for (hd0) and get device entry for (hd0) (usually /dev/hda)
> use /dev/hda as boot device
>
> I should probably fix the code to use every active disk in the array, so the
> machine will boot in case of disk failure.

You should, in this case, just use all the disks from $BOOT_DEVICE. Please see
also the my recent posting in the "Problem with GRUB" thread on linux-fai

> The lvm seems to work well, when the disk is brand new.  I'm using virtualbox
> to do all the testing in, so making a "new" drive is cheap. :)  Anyway, after
> the first run using lvm (the first run always seems to work fine), doing it a
> second time won't work.  Also switching back to a normal partitioning scheme
> won't work, and I have to make a new disk image.  Also dd'ing a lot of zero's
> to the drive doesn't seem to work either, although I think doing that in
> combination with vgremove may work.  There's too many options for me to
> remember all my steps.
>
> I've just noticed that you have experimental4 on the website now, and all
> these problems are based off of experimental3, so I'm going to install the
> new packages and try them out before I send a more detailed report.

Ok, I would't expect experimental4 to fix those problems; rather, they should
have been fixed long ago :-) Could you please provide a fai.log with debugging
enabled? This would really help a lot to get this one fixed as well.

Thanks,