setup-storage!!!! :)

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Sep 15 14:35:24 CEST 2008

Hi Joseph,

    > Please let me know if there's anything that's really important that I may not
    > be aware of.  I've been looking at the disk_config directory, and it looks
    > like the config files have changed a bit.
Yes, the disk_config format was enhanced, so it now supports software raid
and lvm.

    > I was wondering if y'all think that using partman would be a more permanent
    > solution to the problem of setting up the disks.
I did a look at partman long time ago. IMO partman is a solution that
is tied to much to the debian installer. It was created to give
a shell interface to a C++ library (libparted). It's nearly impossible to use
it without the installer environment. That's why I'm happy that the
new setup-storage is using parted, without using partman.

    > very heavily with the debian installer environment, and it's difficult to
    > extricate it from that environment, or even to run it from a
    > chroot.
That's excatly what I discoverd.

    > I've been spending the last couple of weeks trying to get it to do this.  The
    > people working on live-helper would also like to see the debian-installer
    > usable from a regular debian system, instead of the restrictive busybox
    > environment that it's made to work with.
I think that will be a lot of work, and the d-i people may not be
interested in doing this work.

    > others.  I think that having the partman package running on debian as a
    > normal package, or packages, would be a very valuable tool.
Having the setup-storage tool as a seperate Debian package is the
better solution IMO.

    > Thanks again for all the work that you've put into fai.  This program has
    > inspired what I've been doing for a long time now! :)
You're welcome. I'm always very interested in user experiences with FAI. Can you
please fill out the FAI questionnaire
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/questionnaire
and send it back to me when you finished a project with fai.

P.S.: in the README file http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/paella/trunk/README you say
  >This project is inspired heavily by fai (fully automatic install) by Thomas Lange
  >fai's homepage -- http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
Maybe you can correct this, FAI stands for Fully Automatic Installation.