FAI class dependencies

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Sep 10 15:26:53 CEST 2008

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 09:08:46PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> The class system in FAI is very simple by design. I do not recommend
> to make classes "depend" others or creating "subclasses" (even we do
> something like "define GRUB if I386 is defined" in the simple
> examples).

The setup is completely up to the user and using class dependencies is
optional, so I don't see how any user would be harmed by introducing
this into FAI. However, I do see that users cannot benefit from that
feature if it is not introduced.

> If you really want to have such a system, you are free to implement a
> script in class/... that will define such subclasses. I will not
> include this into FAI, so I say "wontfix".

There are already two different implementations for this which have been
proposed on the mailing list which, imho, both are very non-intrusive.
So, apparently there are several people out there who would like that
feature. I really don't see why this should not be included in FAI.

Just my 2 cents ...

Cheers,
Sebastian