class dependencies

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Sep 10 11:15:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:04:19PM +0200, Raphaël Pinson wrote:
> I had sent a patch to FAI some months ago which allowed inherited classes,
> but it never got taken into FAI, don't remember why [0].

I like either approach but, personally, I'd favor Ingo's implementations
because:

 a) I like graph theory :-)

 b) it is somewhat more modular (I guess that with some minor
    modifications fai-deps could even be used for different purposes as
    well if someone comes up with an appropriate use case)

 c) it includes documentation

Anyway, Imho this should be added to FAI, no matter which
implementation.

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Ingo Wichmann <iw at linuxhotel.de> wrote:
> > Calling this file from withing defclass is not perfect: dependencies for
> > $HOSTNAME and LAST are not possible. A solution could be, to call this
> > script right after fai-class is called in task defclass.

Sounds good to me from a quick glance.

> > Somebody willing to include this? To do so 3 changes are necessary:
> > 1. add a line
> >  fai-deps
> > right after
> >  fai-class -T $FAI/class $LOGDIR/FAI_CLASSES
> > in
> > /usr/lib/fai/subroutines ( task_defclass() )
> > 2. add this script as
> > /usr/bin/fai-class

That's supposed to "/usr/bin/fai-deps", right? ;-)

> > 3. new dependency to libgraph-perl for fai-class

Ditto ;-)

> > It should not break existing configurations, because it only acts if
> > non-executable files $FAI/class/*.deps exist.

If somebody is in doubt about that, the path could be changed to e.g.
$FAI/class.deps/*.

Cheers,
Sebastian