development with quilt

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Aug 28 00:23:18 CEST 2008

> this patch would help to use the quilt patch management system for handling additional patches in trunk.
> you could add switches (setting environment variables?) to switch quilt use on or off.
>
> i wrote a short introduction to quilt in the wiki:
> http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Development_with_quilt

As briefly discussed yesterday, at the FAI dev weekend we agreed on setting up
an experimental branch to get new patches packaged quickly, without endangering
the stability of the released packages.

Andreas suggested and documented the use of quilt, such that people just create
patches and drop them in an appropriate place to have them integrated with our
new "experimental" packages.

I'd suggest the following procedure (happy flaming...):
- Use quilt as documented above, and direct it to the place where you have
  checked out the people/michael/experimental/patches/ directory. (Well, we
  might want to move this somewhere else, but for now everyone should feel free
  to commit in there.)

- Add a header to your patch, using quilt header -e, which is formatted in a
  Changelog like way:

2008-08-28  Your Name  <your at mail>

  * some_file: Your changes
  * more_files: More changes

  In vim, set the filetype to changelog and use \o to get a template, and most
  probably emacs also has some changelog mode to assist you.

- Commit the patch file to SVN. Please try to make your patches selfcontained
  and as independent of other patches as possible. This will help Thomas in
  picking single patches from the list whenever deemed appropriate.

- Once you commit, an automatic build of the experimental fai package on
  svn.debian.org will be triggered. This again triggers a download to a
  repository, where from the packages are made available. *Note* that this is
  not yet enabled, but I'd expect it to be up and running in the next days. The
  scripts doing the work may be found in the repository in
  people/michael/experimental/. For now, build logs are mailed to my address,
  but we might want to change this to mailing them to the committer. One further
  possible feature would be automated mails to the bug tracking system and
  tagging some bug reports "patch", of course including the corresponding patch.
  Well, there is lots of possibilities, all of which require a bit of work and
  some disussion.

Happy hacking,