better and easier commitmessages

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Thu Aug 21 12:48:29 CEST 2008

Hi,

if you write a debian/changelog entry for every change you do, you can
use "debcommit" (part of the devscripts package) to very easily create useful
commit messages. From the debcommmit manpage:

debcommit generates a commit message based on new text in debian/changelog,
and commits the change to a package’s repository. It must be run in a working
copy for the package. Supported version control systems are: cvs, git, hg
(mercurial), svk, svn (subversion), baz, bzr, tla (arch).

So basically, instead of "svn ci -m 'some stupid text'" you do "debcommit"
(or "debcommit -C"), which I think is easier to type and gives better
results.

I'm in love with it since I discovered it some months ago.

regards,
	Holger (who just read all commits from the last workshop)